"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."
- Nelson Mandela, Former President of South Africa and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
The UN's Sustainable Development Goal 4 (SDG4) is to "ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning." Please join UNICEF NextGen DC in collaboration with MakerGirl for a discussion centered around girls' education around the world and how to make progress towards SDG4. NextGen DC will lead a discussion focused on the obstacles that girls face when it comes to education and how we can empower them to overcome those obstacles. MakerGirl, a Chicago-based non-profit, will be facilitating a live 3D-printing demo and will provide additional insight into the gender inequalities that occur within STEM fields specifically.
2:00 PM - Check-in
2:15 PM - Opening Remarks
2:30 PM - Discussion of Pre-reading Materials
3:00 PM - 3-D Printing Demo
3:30 PM Closing Remarks
3:45 PM - Networking
Please read the following four articles in preparation for the Thought Club discussion:
1. UNGEI: Closing the gender gap in STEM (link)
2. Sustainable Development Goal #4 (link)
3. UNICEF State of the World's Children Report - Section: A persistent gender gap (pages 48-55) (link)
4. Brookings: How our education system undermines gender equity (link)
5. UN Women: Spotlight on SDG 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls (link)